Explain the powers and functions of the Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister is the head of the Central Govt. He is the chief advisor of the President and exercises all the powers rested in the name of the President of India. His power and functions are as follows :-
1. He selects the members of the cabinet, allocate portfolios and can dismiss any minister.
2. He is the head of the cabinet ministers and presides over the meetings with them.
3. He co-ordinates the work of different departments.
4. In case of disagreement between the departments, his decisions are final.
5. He exercises general supervisions of different ministries.
6. He distributes and redistributes work to the ministers.
7. He has the power to dismiss ministers. When he quits, the entire ministry quits.